Friday, December 27, 2013

Outer Space

When I was 13 years old, I wanted to be an astronomer.  I read extensively about the solar system, the Milky Way, galaxies, the universe, and everything.  But one day I discovered that to be an astronomer you needed to study and know a lot of maths. Unfortunately I was terrible at maths at school – it was a closed book to me – so that put an end to the idea of pursuing a career as an astronomer.  A great pity!  as I still have a strong interest in all matters related to the universe – from spinning galaxies, red dwarfs and black holes, to the subatomic particles that are being discovered in the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva - like the Higgs boson.  I am fascinated by, and watch, and read, a lot of stuff on astronomy, geology, physics and chemistry – although I still keep well away from the maths.


Recently I saw the film Gravity, and I thought that if I couldn’t be an astronomer, maybe I could try being an astronaut? However, the risks are great, as shown in the film – from debris in space, and other things. 

I am not normally a person that takes serious risks - although I have done occasionally in the past – but if I could be guaranteed not to get hurt by being out in space, and that I will land back on my feet, that’s what I like to do – be on a mission in a space station.


My textile vision of outer space was achieved by printing on fabric, heavily photoshopped photos I took of trails of Christmas tree lights – achieved by moving the camera while set on a very slow speed.

Alicia

6 comments:

  1. Hmm, I would consider space travel. I love the way you created the fabric from Christmas light trails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks JUST like warp speed! Space Odyssey here we come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teleportation is more my thing....

      PS: my piece is 18" by 18".

      Delete
  3. I love your technique! I feel like I'm flying through space. I have always thought space travel would be fun...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with Alicia. I would really prefer teleporation. In fact…I say that every time I board an overcrowded flight on an airline with all their recently reduced seats and cabin space.

    ReplyDelete