Sunday, October 27, 2013

Time Trials (and tribulations)

"Time Trials", 9" x 27"
Having recently relocated to a community where biking is a primary form of transportation, I'm reacquainting myself with my bicycle and the joys of life on 2 wheels.  But my bike is 20+ years old…..which amazes me and amuses the bike mechanics in town.  It's still a good ride, it's been maintained over the years, and I intend to use it for a good while.  Nonetheless, it's obsolete in the biking technology world.

In our world, it seems like things lose their cutting-edge or go out of vogue and are cast aside and left to the landfill…..which makes me wonder, all these abandoned earthly goods were once shiny and new and made someone very happy.  Probably a metaphor for aging in there somewhere - but it's not intended.  New becomes old……where does that time go and all that goes with it?

"Time Trials", 9"x 27", was inspired by a series of abandoned bicycles (coincidently) photographed in and around Stockholm this past summer.  It is a raw-edge appliquéd collage of hand-dyed and painted cottons and silks, finished with machine quilting and hand embroidery.


5 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I love bikes... but I don't really ride them any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this piece. The balance of warm and cool colors, the dynamic lines, and the way that one big circle ends at the bottom of the long rectangular composition. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a challenge working in this long, skinny format Martha, but your composition works beautifully as Kate puts it so well. Planned obsolescence and our consumer attitudes are things that unfortunately seem to be here for some time to come. I love the old fashioned bikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone, for all of the enthusiastic feedback! This was a fun piece to do and I do dearly love biking! The obsolescence part is a big worry for me, though. I'd like to leave more behind as the sum of my days than a pile of trash! A great first round!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love, love, love it! It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete